Summer Kid Friendly Atrractions
- Aspen Recreation Center (ARC): With facilities that include a pool with a water slide, tennis courts and a skateboard park, ARC offers enough activity options to please even the pickiest child. Summer camps are also available for a variety of activities and lengths of time. Contact ARC at (970) 920-5140 or visit www.aspenrecreation.com for more information.
- Wagner Park: Located in downtown Aspen, west of Mill Street Mall, with a recently replaced jungle gym and bouldering rock as well as an expanse of playing fields, Wagner Park is a convenient spot to spend a summer afternoon with the little tykes.
Summer Fun For the Whole Family
- Hiking: Introduce your little ones to the outdoors with a short day hike or keep your young athletes engaged with a longer, steeper day on the trails. With so many options requiring various levels of skill and endurance, there is fun for everyone in the mountains surrounding town.
- Biking: Hop on the Rio Grande Trail just north of town or take your bikes and tykes up to any of the many single track trails surrounding the valley. There's a ride out there for anyone with a bike, a helmet and an interest in adventure.
- Camping: White River National Forest maintains campgrounds that offer the basics for a night under the stars. Teach the kids basic skills, such as pitching a tent and using a camp stove, with the Roaring Fork River just a stone's throw away. Many campgrounds have trailheads right there, which makes planning for the day a no-brainer.
- Kayaking/Canoeing: Rent a canoe and head north to Ruedi Reservoir for some paddling, fishing and camping. Or take a half day kayak lesson with one of the area's experienced, professional guide companies.
- Whitewater and Scenic Float Trips: Many fully licensed and insured operators send river trips out on Roaring Fork, Arkansas and Colorado Rivers. Whether you are interested in a mild float on the Lower Fork or the most extreme rapids of Colorado River's Gore Canyon, a trip that suits you can be arranged for a reasonable fee.
- Horseback Riding and Pack Trips: Get in touch with your inner-cowboy. Contact any of the area outfitters to schedule a few hours on horseback or a few days on a pack trip.
- Fishing: The rivers and streams of the area offer gold medal-winning trout fishing. Hire a guide to take you down the Fryingpan River or cast from the riverbanks near your campsite.
- Hot Air Balloon Rides: A handful of private companies offer sunrise air balloon rides over Aspen and Snowmass, providing a unique perspective on the valley below! The rides generally last 3-4 hours.
- Tour a Ghost Town: The ghost towns of Independence and Ashcroft, both within a dozen miles of downtown Aspen, offer the skeleton remains of towns that existed over a hundred years ago, during Aspen's mining boom days. A visit will certainly encourage your child's active imagination to soar with thoughts of life in the Old West.
- Historic Tours of Town: Private businesses are known to offer horse carriage tours of historic locations in downtown Aspen. With such a rich history, a tour will keep you entertained for hours and offer much to consider during the remainder or your visit.
- Smuggler Mine Tour: Located north of town, mine tours take you into the heart of Smuggler Mountain on an ore cart, just like they did a hundred years ago. Equipped with hard harts and miners' lights, there's no pretending necessary. Reservations must be made, groups must be 4 people or more and children under 5 are not allowed.
Winter Kids Attractions
- Treehouse Kids' Adventure Center
This is a kids ski school meets daycare facility with a dash of learning center and nature school sprinkled on top. Rest assured your kids are in good hands at this state licensed facility where learning how to ski is just the beginning.
- Kids' Ski School
Drop off the munchkins at Aspen's world-renowned ski school, which has produced many legendary skiers and riders – could your kid be next?
- Nature Tours
They're free, they're fun, they're done on foot, snowshoe or ski and, best of all, your kiddie will learn something.
Winter Kids Activities
- Sleigh Rides
Dash through the snow with a warm hot chocolate, thick blanket and your brood will be laughing all the way.
- Ice Skating
Nothing says winter like a few laps at the Hyatt Grand Aspen's outdoor skating rink. Too cold? Head indoors at the Aspen Ice Garden.
- Dog Sledding
Your kids will fall in love with their dog team as they whisk everyone through soft snow on exciting forest trails. Stay for dinner afterward.
- Kids' Ski Trails
Snowmass and Buttermilk have areas specifically designed for family skiing with beginner terrain and picnic areas. Pick up a Kids' Ski Map for more information.