- Aspen-area rivers provide Class II-V rapids, so there's a trip suited for novices and hard core paddlers alike.
- Whitewater rafting companies offer trips on Arkansas, Colorado and Roaring Fork Rivers.
- Fees for trips vary depending on length of the river run and distance travelled to put-in; rates generally include all necessary gear.
A handful of professional, experienced, and fully licensed whitewater rafting companies call the greater-Aspen area home. These seasoned professionals offer a wide-range of trips on the Arkansas, Colorado and Roaring Fork Rivers with rapids sections ranging from Class II - IV. (Class V are not recommended for those without extensive experienced and advanced skills.) These local river rats are eager to provide you with a rafting adventure suited to the skill- and fitness-level of those in your group.
The mildest trips float the lower section of the Roaring Fork River, and the secluded canyon of the Slaughterhouse Falls section of "the Fork" provides Class IV-V thrills for those with strong stamina, advanced skills and a daring spirit. For your convenience, companies provide everything from wetsuits and booties to life vests and Croakies (and often lunch!), so there is no need to stress about gear. The rafting season generally starts in June and runs through mid-August.
Where To Go Rafting
- Middle Roaring Fork River: Class II-III
- Upper Roaring Fork River: Class III
- Browns Canyon of Arkansas River: Class III
- Shoshone section of Colorado River: Class III-IV
- Slaughterhouse Falls on Roaring Fork River: Class IV
- Numbers section of Roaring Fork River: Class IV
- Gore Canyon of Roaring Fork River: Class V (This stretch is considered by some to be one of the most difficult runs in the country and is generally not run by commercial rafts.)
Guided Tours & Fees
Contact any of Aspen's fully licensed and insured guide companies to reserve a trip suited for you! Half-day prices range from $39-$69/person, full-day adventures range from $69-169/person, and overnight trips range from $325-$445/person.